My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://blog.amyatlas.com/ and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Election Day Cookies



It's election day and hopefully everyone across the country is getting ready to head into voting booths to pull the lever for their favorite candidates. I used to work on political campaigns so I am always filled with excitement and pride on this very special day. For campaign operatives, there is little to do the night before the election but just wait it out until the next day for "get out the vote efforts." I used to have a hard time sleeping the night before election day and had to do something with my nervous energy. For those of you who knew me during that time, you probably remember what I did. BAKE! I would bake away my big chocolate chip cookies all night and then bring them in the next day to share with the whole campaign team. In honor of my old tradition and election day, I've attached this great election day cookie recipe that I found from the Taste of Home site.

Since kids are home from school across the nation today, why not bake off some fun election cookies with them and tell them about this important holiday? I'll be baking these with my two sons today so I will share how they come out!

Here is the recipe....

Ingredients

* 1 cup butter, softened
* 1 cup confectioners' sugar
* 1 egg
* 1-1/2 teaspoons almond extract
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 teaspoon salt

* FROSTING:
* 6 tablespoons butter, softened
* 2-2/3 cups confectioners' sugar
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
* Red and blue food coloring
* Assorted patriotic decors

Directions

* In a small bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and extracts. Gradually add flour and salt; mix well. Divide in half; flatten and wrap each portion in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or until easy to handle.

* On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with floured 2-1/2-in. donkey and elephant cookie cutters. I found these election day cutters on Amazon. Place 2 in. apart on baking sheets coated with cooking spray.

* Bake at 375° for 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.

* For frosting, in a small bowl, beat the butter, confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve spreading consistency. Tint some frosting red and some blue; leave some white. Frost cookies; decorate as desired. Yield: about 5 dozen.

Enjoy!

6 comments:

Cakemol said...

Sorry, I don´t speak english but It is a beautiful cookies. :).
Kiss.
Los Mol

bakermom said...

I love the Election Day cookies. Very cute. Check out holiday cookies at www.LetsBakeCookies.com.

Joanna said...

I love these!

Anna said...

I love election day! I have my degree in poli sci & history & there is something so exciting about democracy, esp when you throw cookies in the mix.

Lovely Scribbles said...

What a fun and creative way to teach the kiddos about voting! Love it!

Micki said...

Just found your site. Wonderful ideas and talent.
Question...did the frosting recipe set up and become "unsmerable" while in the cookie jar pictured. It doesn't look like a butter recipe...looks more like a royal icing????? Thanks.

Back to Top