My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://blog.amyatlas.com/ and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Crafty Yarn Egg Decor

Holiday season is yet again around the corner. Yesterday, I blogged about Passover recipes. Today I'm here to share a fabulous craft idea that I saw on Family Fun for Easter. These crafty yarn eggs would be perfect for dressing up your Easter buffet spread. They can be hung from the ceiling like the picture below or they can be piled together to create a centerpiece for your Easter table. While it may take a little time for this diy project, I think the results will be well worth it!



Materials
Thin cotton yarn
Balloons
Craft glue
Newspaper
Wax paper
Clothespin
Clothes hanger

Instructions

1. For each egg, cut twenty 3-foot-long strands of cotton yarn and blow up a balloon to a 6- to 8-inch diameter. Mix equal parts of glue and water in a shallow disposable container.

2. Cover your work area with newspaper and a sheet of wax paper. Hold a strand of yarn by one end, dip it into the glue mixture, then wrap it around the balloon. Repeat with the other strands, randomly overlapping them and tucking in loose ends, until the balloon is evenly covered.

3. Using the clothespin, suspend the balloon from the clothes hanger and let it dry overnight. (Cover the area below it with newspaper to catch drips.) Once the egg is completely dry, carefully poke a hole in the balloon, then pull it away from the string as it deflates. Hang your finished egg with ribbon or yarn.

17 comments:

The Wife said...

Very Cute Idea! I just adore your website... So Creative!
Miss Taryn
www.TarynCoxTheWife.Com

Melissa Irvin said...

My sweet momma made a huge yarn egg for me as an Easter basket over 25 years ago. I finally let it go this year - it is still intact so my mom is using it for my niece's Easter basket this year! She followed the same process and cut out an egg shaped hole in the side to fill it with goodies. Such a sweet memory for me. Thanks for posting these!

Chelsea said...

Such a cute idea! I love it and I'm doing it tomorrow!

Rowaida said...

Beautiful and creative idea! thanks Amy

Jordan - Polkadot Prints said...

I so remember these from primary school!! Obviously making a comback! :) Thanks for sparking the memory...and a fresh take on these!

vicky said...

Those are very cute! I saw the same idea in an old issue of readymade but they had them as chandilers! Last week we used the project to make bird houses and it worked great- http://thecitycradle.com/a-bird-nest-shower

Unknown said...

I love these! And you can do them in just half so that use can use them as baskets or candle holders, etc. fun!

Kim @ http://frostmeblog.blogspot.com
party inspiration

Helena - A Diary of Lovely said...

great tutorial. Thanks!

Danette ~ Sweet Papier said...

I'm so smitten with these pretty, pretty yarn eggs ~ thank you for sharing this charming idea...

TLF said...

Oh, I love this idea.. I can't wait to try it!
Thanks so much for sharing!!

the decorated cookie said...

Thanks for the trip down memory lane! I was a crafting kid, and I remember making these way back when. sigh.

Renee said...

i absolutely love this idea!! i'll be trying this in the near future. thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

love the colors! I made some for xmas, in white and added some sparkles to them. They're great inexpensive decorations and kids can help.

appelmama said...

love the colors & love the forms created!
www.thenurturedays.blogspot.com

Taylor Hill said...

Im going to make these for my room it would add so much color :)

Cotton Yarn Manufacturer said...

Yeah its so lovely and its a very good idea. thanks for the information...

Katie @ Cheep Ideas said...

Well, I didn't find this until after Easter, but I am still in love with these! They'd look so cute in a child's room! I featured them on my DIY Roundup yesterday. Thanks for sharing!!

Back to Top