Wednesday, February 10, 2010
To continue preparation for Valentine's Day, I was on the radio this morning with Martha Radio. It is chocolate week at Martha Radio and I shared my tips for putting together a chocolate dessert bar for Valentine's Day at home. We spoke about trends in the dessert world, crafty ways to dress up your dessert table, how to make a dessert bar for less, and fun ways to use candy in a dessert display. I also shared some fool-proof recipes that I have made before for Valentine's Day. We spoke about a chocolate molten cake and a one-bowl brownie recipe that will make you (and your loved one) weak in the knees. Here are the recipes so, you too, can make them at home!
Recipes courtesy of Cooks.com
Chocolate Cake with Molten Center
• 1/2 cup butter
• 4 (1 ounce) squares bittersweet chocolate
• 2 eggs
• 2 egg yolks
• 1/4 cup white sugar
• 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). Butter and flour four 4 ounce ramekins or custard cups.
2. In the top half of a double boiler set over simmering water, heat the butter and the chocolate until chocolate is almost completely melted.
3. Beat the eggs, egg yolks and sugar together until light colored and thick.
4. Beat together the melted chocolate and butter. While beating, slowly pour the chocolate mixture into the egg mixture, then quickly beat in the flour and mix until just combined.
5. Divide the batter between the four molds and bake at 450 degrees F (230 degrees C) for 6 to 7 minutes. The centers of the cakes will still be quite soft. Invert cakes on serving plates and let sit for about 15 seconds, then unmold. Serve immediately with fresh whipped cream, if desired.
One Bowl Brownies
• 4 (1 ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate
• 3/4 cup butter
• 2 cups white sugar
• 3 eggs
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• 1 cup chopped walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
2. Microwave chocolate and butter or margarine in large bowl at HIGH for 2 minutes or until butter or margarine is melted.
3. Stir until chocolate is melted. Stir in sugar. Mix in eggs and vanilla. Stir in flour and nuts.
4. Spread in greased 13 x 9 inch pan. Bake for 35 minutes (do not overbake).